In “Upload and Update”, you are able to manage settings for uploading items and the “Update Wizard”, as well as the general behavior of updates.
If you select the function above, you enable users to upload several slides at once to the library as a “Slide Set”. If this option is not selected the option “Slide Set” will not be available in the “Save as” dialogue, even if several slides are selected. A “Slide Set” that has been saved as such in the library will only show you the first slide, you are also unable to access individual slides. Once you add the “Slide Set” to a presentation, you can access all slides. This option is useful when you have a grouping of slides that should only be used together. In this way, you prevent a user from using a single slide in a way that it is not intended.
The option Update Wizard opens automatically will set how an empower user is informed about updates. By default, you are informed via an information panel if items with outdated content are opened. If this option has been deactivated, the Update wizard can still be launched manually by clicking on the Updates button in the library area.
You can activate the expiry date function in Activate Expiry Date. Once this function has been activated, you can set an expiry date for library items. Once this date has elapsed, these elements will be automatically moved to the recycle bin.
The default behavior of receiving and distributing updates within the update union can be configured in Link Settings.
The default setting for receiving updates is usually “Only updates from origin”. This means that an element only receives updates from its direct origin in the update union.
A further option entails elements in the library receiving updates from all elements within the update union, no matter where the update was carried out. Elements in the library will not receive any updates if “Receive no updates” is activated.
All options can be activated or deactivated with the on/off switches. If an option is deactivated it will not be listed in the context menu which will open if you right-click on an element in the library. You may alter the default setting for one or multiple elements located in the library. Please note that this change is only effective for the selected element or elements.
More details can be found in chapter General update settings.
There are five options available for the distribution of updates, that can be individually set for the action of Save and Save as of elements to the empower library:
- Force update will automatically apply the change to an element to all elements within an update union. There will no longer be an update notification, instead the update will be performed automatically.
- Share update means that all elements distribute updates by default.
- Don’t share update means that although elements within the empower library do not distribute updates, locally saved elements of the update union will still receive update notifications when they are opened.
- Disable update will deactivate the distribution of updates for elements in the library as well as locally saved elements. (Both elements will however remain in the update union even though they will not distribute updates. They are labelled with a link symbol.)
- Activating Remove from update list will set that no links are made. All elements are completely independent items in the library and are not contained within the update union. Updates are neither sent nor received. In essence, the update function has been deactivated!
You can find further information on the update function of empower in chapter Updates.